Parishioners at St John's have worshipped in two church buildings on the present site since 1873. The first was a temporary construction, affectionately known as "The Tin Church" which gave good service for many years; eventually however the decision was made to build a permanent church for the parish.
The current building, completed in 1893, is a magnificent example of Victorian architecture, and is filled with furniture and ornaments accrued over the years which continue to inspire present day congregations in their prayers and devotions. Highlights of the church, both inside and out, can be viewed in the Virtual Tour.
A brief history of the parish, its buildings and its clergy, can be found on the History page, together with a number of photographs from our archives. The parish has been served by eight vicars and priests since 1873.